Update: April pantry dates are Tuesday 4/7 and 4/14 and Wednesday 4/1, 4/8, and 4/15. We will use the final two weeks in April for deep cleaning and restocking, and plan to announce our May dates sometime in late April.
It is not required to have 30 days between March and April appointments, so if you have a late March appointment, you should still call for an appointment in April.
We are experiencing a large volume of incoming calls at this difficult time. Please leave a message and we will return your call as soon as possible.
In an effort to keep guests, volunteers, and staff healthy and help reduce the spread of Coronavirus, CARES began operating as a drive-up food pantry on Tuesday, March 17. This allows us to continue to provide food services until it is considered safe to return to full operations.
New pantry hours are 9:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m. on Tuesday and Wednesday.
The cafe lunch program, clothing boutique, library, and all other CARES services are currently not operating, and we are not accepting any clothing donations until further notice. In addition, the CARES building will be closed to everyone except staff and volunteers working assigned shifts.
To receive services, guests should follow these instructions, which will allow CARES to assist everyone safely and efficiently while minimizing impact on the surrounding community.
- Guests must have an appointment. Anyone arriving without an appointment cannot be served. Appointments can be set by calling 248-474-8231 on Tuesday-Friday, 9:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m. Guests can visit the CARES pantry once per month.
- Guests with a previously scheduled appointment do not need to call and should plan to arrive at their scheduled time. For Thursday or Saturday appointments, CARES will contact guests to reschedule.
- Pick up will be at the back (south) entrance of the main CARES building, near the corner of Colwell St. and Independence St. Follow the signs to the pick up driveway. Guests must arrive at their scheduled appointment on time in order to manage traffic flow.
- Guests will open their trunk and stay in their car. A volunteer will record the guest’s information while maintaining the recommended safe distance during these interactions in order to minimize person to person contact, per current guidelines. A volunteer will place pre-packed bags in the guest’s trunk and close it.
- Look for email from Lori for details or updates as we refine our process.
- Plan to arrive 15 minutes before your shift for announcements on any new developments.
- All volunteers will be expected to wash their hands frequently and wear gloves at all times, and any volunteer that appears ill will be asked to leave immediately.
We are expecting an increase in the need for food in these next few weeks. If you can help, please consider donating to CARES. We are able to buy food from local food banks at cost below even discount stores, so your dollars will stretch further to feed our hungry neighbors. No donation is too small, it all helps. Use the PayPal link below to donate online or visit our Donate page for additional options.
Food, personal care, and cleaning products are also welcomed. To donate, come to the back of the building during open hours, remain in your car, and let the check-in volunteer know you are making a donation. Volunteers will unload the items.